Protecting the privacy of your personal information
The Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 defines personal information as “information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonable identifiable”.
Primary Health Tasmania collects a range of personal information for the purposes of its functions and activities. This includes through the implementation of projects, sensitive (health) information through the provision of health services, personal information collected for employee records and member, Board, advisory group and stakeholder personal information collected to facilitate our work with primary health care.
- who to contact if you have a query regarding the handling of personal information
- the type of personal information that is collected
- how personal information may be provided anonymously or by using a pseudonym
- how personal information is stored
- to whom and under what circumstances personal information may be disclosed
- how personal information may be accessed (i.e. for the purposes of correction)
- how personal information is disposed of when it is no longer needed
- how to make a complaint about the way we handle personal information.
Primary Health Tasmania will:
- only collect personal information about you that is necessary and relevant to the functions and/or programs of the organisation
- ensure that the staff collecting your information are appropriately trained and have a specific role in the purpose for which your information is being collected
- only collect your personal information directly from you (where possible and practical to do so)
- take all reasonable steps to ensure you are aware of the reason information is being collected and to whom it will be disclosed
- where lawful and practical to do so, give you the option of interacting with us anonymously or through the use of a pseudonym
- only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, or for a directly related secondary purpose that you would expect your personal information to be used for (unless legally required or authorised to do otherwise)
- provide you with access to your personal information (unless legally required or authorised to do otherwise)
- take all reasonable steps to protect information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, interference or disclosure
- take all reasonable steps to keep your personal information complete, current and accurate
- take all reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer required.
This policy is reviewed on a regular basis. It was last updated in May 2014.
For more information about the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012, visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au
In complying with the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012, Primary Health Tasmania provides the following advice to users of this website about the collection, use, disclosure and storage of personal information through this site.
The aim of this advice is to inform users of this site about:
- what personal information is being collected
- who is collecting personal information
- how personal information is being used
- how to access personal information collected through this site
- security of personal information collected through this site.
Unless this website asks for specific personal information in order to respond to requests for information or to register users for particular services, only the following information will be collected when you use this site:
- your server address
- your top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au)
- the date and time of your visit to the site
- the pages you accessed and the documents downloaded
- the type of browser you are using.
This information is collected for statistical purposes and to enable us to improve the navigation functions of our web site.
Who is collecting personal information?
The above information is collected by our website service provider, Digital Ink.
Where this site specifically asks for your personal information (for example to respond to requests for information or to register users for particular services), your personal information will only be collected by staff of Primary Health Tasmania who have responsibility for responding to such requests or administrating such registrations.
How is personal information used?
Personal information collected on this website will only be used for the purposes stated at the time of collection. Your personal information will not be added to a mailing list or used for any other purpose without your consent.
Cookies are pieces of data that a website transfers to your computer’s hard drive for record-keeping purposes.
Cookies, which are industry standard and are used by most websites including our website, can facilitate a user’s ongoing access to services provided by the website. Cookies allow us to customise and improve your experience when browsing pages on this website.
We are using Cookies to allow your web browser to remember settings you have selected and the pages you have visited. At no time is any personal information being collected by Cookies.
Most web browsers give you the ability to deny or accept the Cookie feature, but you should note that Cookies may be necessary to provide you with some features of our online services.
Access to personal information collected on this site
Unless required by law to do so Primary Health Tasmania will only disclose personal information collected on this site to a third party if consent has been provided.
Security of personal information collected on this site
This site does not provide facilities to guarantee the secure transmission of information across the Internet. While reasonable efforts are used to provide security, users should be aware that there are inherent risks in the transmission of information across the internet.